Divorce has often been the topic of debates across the world. However, we know that the Scripture was clear in its position on divorce. The Scriptures clearly revealed that divorce is not the perfect will of God, therefore, God forbids divorce. This generation needs the intervention of God to save countless marriages from divorce and its devastating effects.
In His sermon on the mount, Jesus preached against divorce.
“It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery”(Matthew 5:31-32).
“And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery”(Matthew 19:9).
Related books in this post
Jesus spoke with authority as one who came to correct misconceptions about the Law of Moses. In those days in Israel, young women were bound by law to remain virgins until marriage, otherwise, they are stoned to death.
“They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?”(John 8:4-5).
“If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel”(Deuteronomy 22:22).
Traditionally, after wedding ceremony, young virgins usually accompanied the bride to her husband’s house. The man and his bride would go to bed with a piece of cloth received from the father of the bride. If the man finds his bride a virgin, he cleans her blood with the white cloth and hands it to young virgins who waited upon them.
With joy, these virgins would sing and dance until they return to the bride’s father and give him the stained cloth as a token of her daughter’s virginity. In so doing, the man cannot divorce his wife forever. However, if he divorces her, the father would take the stained cloth to court as evidence. She would remain under the care of the man all her life and he cannot divorce or maltreat her because she is a daughter of Zion.
“When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favors in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house”(Deuteronomy 24:1).
Related books in this post
When a man finds out that his bride is not a virgin, he surrenders her to be stoned to death. However, if he loves the bride that was deflowered, he can retain her as his wife. Nevertheless, he could still divorce her anytime because she committed fornication. That was the case with Mary and Joseph before the angel visited Joseph.
“Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily. But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife”(Matthew 1:18-24).
“For the woman which hath a husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man”(Romans 7:2-3).
Joseph found out that Mary, who was engaged to him, was pregnant. However, Joseph was a just man and was not willing to make the matter public. When he decided to put Mary away privately, an angel of God intervened. The angel informed Joseph that Mary’s conception has nothing to do with sin of fornication.
Until Jesus Christ came to the world, marriage, separation and divorce were highly contested and controversial issues. However, Christ brought clarity to these issues. That is why intending couples are advised to seriously seek the face of God before stepping into marriage to avoid the heartbreaking issues of divorce from springing up.
Prayers Against Divorce
- 1. Every seed of divorce in my marriage, I reject you perfectly, in the name of Jesus.
- I paralyze spiritual and physical enemies that have gathered against my marriage, in the name of Jesus.
- Any negative movement that is going on against my marriage, be demobilized in shame, in the name of Jesus.
- Let every enchantment made in order to bring divorce in my marriage be exposed and disgraced, in the name of Jesus.
- Any evil personality that is behind the idea of divorce in my marriage, loose you brain, in the name of Jesus.
- Let any evil utterance that is militating against my marriage be silenced forever, in the name of Jesus.
- Any spirit of death that was programmed into my marriage, I cast you out by force, in the name of Jesus.
- Let agents of divorce in my marriage be exposed and disgraced, in the name of Jesus.
- Any power that is frustrating my marriage, die, in the name of Jesus.Every spirit of hatred that is attacking my marriage, I cast you out now, in the name of Jesus.
- Any power that has displaced the divine love that existed in marriage, restore it and die, in the name of Jesus.
- Any strange personality that is sitting upon my marriage, I unseat by force, in the name of Jesus.
- Any evil pressure that has come to destroy my marriage, stop and die, in the name of Jesus.
- Any door that was opened to the spirit of divorce in my marriage, close forever, in the name of Jesus.
- Let any damage that has been done in my marriage be repaired by force, in the name of Jesus.
- I recover double all the grounds that I lost to the spirit of divorce in my marriage, in the name of Jesus.
- O Lord, expose all evil forces that are gathering against my marriage, in the name of Jesus.
- Lord Jesus, terminate evil activities that are going on to promote divorce in my marriage, in the name of Jesus.
- Blood of Jesus, speak death to the voice of divorce in my marriage, in the name of Jesus.
- I rejected every inherited spirit of divorce in my marriage, in the name of Jesus.
- Any witch or wizard that has vowed to bring divorce in my marriage, be disgraced, in the name of Jesus.