It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery”(Matthew 5:31, 32).
In his teaching on marriage, Jesus Christ referred to the Law of Moses concerning separation and divorce. In the Law of Moses, divorce was allowed conditionally. Nevertheless, Christ preached against divorce. Married people are not allowed to separate because marriage is a lifetime union. Jesus taught that whoever divorces and remarries commits adultery. Moreover, anyone who marries a divorced person commits adultery.
“Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them”(Romans 1:32).
we are not only advised to shun divorce and adultery, but we are mandated to discourage its practice. In His teaching on marriage, Jesus clearly defined God’s perfect will for marriage, as seen when God created man and woman. He also explained why Moses permitted divorce.
“They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery”(Matthew 19:7-9).
Related Book in This Post
Moses’ ruling on marriage and divorce was not perfect because he was human. Moses bowed to pressures because of the hardness of their hearts. They complained and pressurized Moses until he gave in to their yearnings and permitted them to divorce. Even in the days of Moses, divorce was not the perfect plan of God, though Moses permitted it. Again, Jesus Christ faced the same pressure during His days on earth. However, He insisted on the perfect will of God, which did not permit divorce.
“And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him. And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you? And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away. And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter. And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery”(Mark 10:2-12).
“For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man”(Roman 7:2, 3).
Related Book in This Post
Separation causes more damage than its causes. The problem with so many people today is that they prefer running away from their problems rather than facing them courageously. Unfortunately, most people have entered into more severe problems while running away from challenges. Nevertheless, when you face your challenges courageously, God provides divine solutions.
Separation cannot be the perfect will of God because it sets you up for more severe problems. God, in His infinite mercies, has provided solutions for all sorts of challenges through His Word.
Prayers for Marital Peace
- I break and lose my marriage from spiritual and physical separation, in the name of Jesus.
- Every serpent in the garden of my marriage, I cut you to pieces, in the name of Jesus.
- O Lord, deliver my marriage from any problem that is pushing it into separation, in the name of Jesus.
- O Lord, bring solution to every disagreement in my home, in the name of Jesus.
- Father Lord, deliver my marriage from costly errors, in the name of Jesus.
- Any satanic tradition or custom that was observed in my marriage, die with your demons, in the name of Jesus.
- I close every door that I have opened to the spirit of separation, in the name of Jesus.
- Any evil personality that is standing between my partner and I, be removed, in the name of Jesus.
- O Lord, help us to leave our parents and cleave to one another, in the name of Jesus.
- Let unfriendly friends in my marriage be exposed and disgraced, in the name of Jesus.
- Any ungodly in-law that is causing problems in my marriage, be frustrated, in the name of Jesus.
- I withdraw every invitation that I have given to the devil, in the name of Jesus.
- Any evil personality that is sharing my love for my partner, be disgraced, in the name of Jesus.
- I withdraw any place that was given to the devil and his agents in my marriage, in the name of Jesus.
- I cast out every spirit of worldliness and extravagance that is tearing my home apart, in the name of Jesus.