I was in a gathering a few months ago when the topic of discussion changed and we began talking about marriage. Although I was not completely paying attention, my ears shot up when I heard someone counter an opinion by saying that marriage does not require any preparation and all one needs is a partner they love. It came as a surprise because that was a first.
Making a marriage work requires two people who are mature in different aspects of their lives. Your adulthood will be greatly influenced by how the physical, emotional, temperamental, social, and spiritual areas of your life develop, and this will determine how mature or immature you become. Before you consider marriage, cultivate a mature life of discipline, temperance, and selflessness. Without proper development in these areas of your life, in addition to experience, you are bound to remain immature in lifestyle and outlook.
Related books in this post
Just like an inexperienced servant who suddenly gets promoted to the throne would be carried away easily and put the kingdom at risk, a woman who is unstable in temperament and character is bound to cause trouble when she marries. Some women who are praying for marriage today do not have what it takes to make or keep a home. Some have no education, no trade, or any job. They are used to a certain way of life and, as such, are weak-minded, poor in understanding, lazy and spiritually blinded to the realities of life. Above all, they desire no relationship with God.
“Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness?”2 Corinthians 6:14
In the same way, a man who wants to marry must at least have a job, a home, and the things to set up his home. Adam was established before he had a wife. God had planted a garden in Eden for Adam to keep. This is why courtship exists. Identifying any unwholesome traits in your man or woman is important before going to the altar. You must avoid pressure from others and from yourself and tell yourselves the truth.
Do not rush into marriage without God’s leading you through His Holy Spirit. If you are not convinced
enough, you should spend more time in prayer about these things before you start thinking about your wedding and make sure God is directly leading you.
Prayers for your Wedding Day
- Father Lord, prepare me adequately for my wedding, in the name of Jesus.
- Lord Jesus, make me matured in every area, in the name of Jesus.
- O Lord, help me to meet up with my responsibilities in this marriage, in the name of Jesus.
- Let the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit possess me by fire, in the name of Jesus.
- If I am under evil influence to wed, O Lord, deliver me now, in the name of Jesus.
- Any problem that wants to destroy my wedding plans, die, in the name of Jesus.
- I cast out evil spirits that my wedding has attracted, in the name of Jesus.
- Any spot or wrinkle in my life, be washed by the blood of Jesus, in the name of Jesus.
- Father Lord, help me to confess and forsake my sins before I wed, in the name of Jesus.
- My wedding, I command you to bring me closer to God, in the name of Jesus.